Celia I. Kaye, MD, PhD ( LWVCollinCounty) Issue Chair
Coalition & Resources
- Cover Texas Now a coalition of consumer and Faith-based organizations that desire to see the state of Texas implement a sustainable health care system and provide quality affordable health coverage to its citizens.
- Children's Health Coverage Coalition (formerly the CHIP Coalition was formed in 1998 to bring together state and local organizations to support adequate state funding and program improvements for the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and Children's Medicaid.
- Texas Cares for Children provides education and advocacy concerning child protective services; juvenile justice; mental wellness; health and fitness; and early childhood education and opportunities.
- Your Texas Benefits Apply for Texas benefits online.
- Center for Public Policy Priorities We believe in a Texas that offers everyone the chance to compete and succeed in life. We envision a Texas where everyone is healthy, well-educated, and financially secure. We want the best Texas - a proud state that sets the bar nationally by expanding opportunity for all.
- Children's Defense Fund The Children's Defense Fund Leave No Child Behind® mission is to ensure every child a Healthy Start, a Head Start, a Fair Start, a Safe Start and a Moral Start in life and successful passage to adulthood with the help of caring families and communities.
- Disability Rights Texas Disability Rights Texas is the federally designated legal protection and advocacy agency (P&A) for people with disabilities in Texas. Our mission is to help people with disabilities understand and exercise their rights under the law, ensuring their full and equal participation in society.
- Student Health Advisory Council of TexasThe Texas School Health Advisory Committee (TSHAC) provides active leadership in the identification and dissemination of school health best practices and resources for school policymakers. For weekly updates on school health, sign up for the Friday Beat
- Child Health Fatality Review DSHS Reviews child deaths on a local level from a public health perspective. By reviewing the circumstances surrounding child deaths, teams identify prevention strategies that will decrease the incidence of preventable child deaths.
- Healthy Texas Babies is a data-driven initiative. Local coalitions, Expert Panel members and others need access to up-to-date data on infant mortality, prematurity, low birth weight and other variables.
- Kids Count.org For data about how kids are doing in your county.
- CHIP: Children's Health Insurance Plan
- DSHS: Department of State Health Services
- HHSC: Health and Human Services Commission
The League of Women Voters believes that early intervention and prevention measures are effective in helping children reach their full potential. The League supports policies and programs at all levels of the community and government that promote the well-being, encourage the full development and ensure the safety of all children.
- Child abuse/neglect prevention
- Teen pregnancy prevention
- Quality health care, including nutrition and prenatal care
- Early childhood education
- Developmental services, emphasizing children ages
- Family support services
- Violence prevention.