The symposium has been cancelled due to Covid-19 social distancing orders. We are planning to reconvene this event next year on
April 17, 2021.
Women’s Suffrage Centennial Symposium: From Complex Legacy to Collective Action
April 18, 2020, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Tinkham Veale University Center at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU)
This symposium brings together leading voices on the women's struggle for the vote and will reflect on the historical meaning of the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment and the extension of the franchise to women.
Ticket price, including lunch: $35 General Public, $10 Students
To register online click here, or register by phone at 216-368-2091
Admission for CWRU and CSU students is free, but registration is required.
CWRU student admission is generously subsidized by the Flora Stone Mather Center for Women. CSU student admission is generously subsidized by the Cleveland-Marshall School of Law.
- Paula J. Giddings, retired professor of Africana Studies, Smith College, and author of When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America, In Search of Sisterhood: Delta Sigma Theta and the Challenge of the Black Sorority Movement, and Ida: A Sword Among Lions – Ida B. Wells and the Campaign Against Lynching.
- Dawn Teele, professor, Political Science Department, University of Pennsylvania, and author of Forging the Franchise: The Political Origins of the Women's Vote
Panel discussion “Where do we go from here? A Call to Action Moment”
- Amy Hanauer, Executive Director, Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy & Citizens for Tax Justice, will moderate.
- Crystal Bryant, Do-Project Director, Cleveland Votes
- Destinee Henton, Associate Director, Clean Water Supply, American Rivers
- Rebecca Maurer, Maurer Law LCC, Lead Member Cleveland Advocates for Safe Housing (CLASH)
- Jasmin Santana, Councilwoman, Cleveland City Council Ward 14
Lunchtime facilitated discussions
- Virginia Kase, CEO of the League of Women Voters of the U. S., will wrap up during dessert, with a “charge” to move forward and get involved.
Cosponsoring with the LWV of Greater Cleveland are CWRU Flora Stone Mather Center for Women ★ CWRU Political Science Department ★ CWRU Laura and Alvin Siegal Lifelong Learning Program ★ CWRU Center for Civic Engagement and learning ★ CWRU African American Studies ★ CWRU Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences ★ CWRU Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity ★ Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Alpha Omega Chapter ★ Cleveland Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University ★ Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Greater Cleveland Alumnae Chapter ★ Facing History and Ourselves ★ Hispanic Roundtable ★ The Junior League of Cleveland ★ The Western Reserve (OH) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated ★ National Council of Jewish Women/Cleveland ★ Norman S. Minor Bar Association ★ Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc., Alpha Lambda Sigma Alumnae Chapter ★ Urban League of Greater Cleveland ★ Women in Law Section, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association ★ Women of Color Foundation ★ YWCA of Greater Cleveland